21 February, 2010

Challenge #2: Silent Films (Fala)

Sara demanded silent films, Sara gets silent films! . . . Er, film.

Photobucket

I've loved all of the film reincarnations of Notre-Dame De Paris, so this was, for me, kind of an obvious choice. My first experience with this story in film format was the Charles Laughton version, but this particular picture, of course, refers to the 1923 silent film starring Leonidas "Lon" Chaney. As much as I love the Laughton film, I couldn't think of a more perfect match to play Quasimodo. Chaney's parents were both deaf-mutes. Not only did he have the experience to put toward this role, but he had the empathy for this character.

. . . Though, admittedly, I was totally listening to the soundtrack for the Disney film when I drew most of this :P

1 comment:

  1. Ah, brilliant! You can almost hear those bells ring (only not)! Nice and broody with Quasimodo in silhouette there.

    ReplyDelete